Gluten-Free version of Mom’s Fall Plum Cake Recipe.
Mom would make this plum cake every fall. It’s up to us kids to carry on the tradition.
As it happened, it become my eldest sisters annual birthday cake, since her birthday is September 16 – Happy 50th Rosemary! (Mom’s was the 18th of September…she would have been seventy-seven years old today).
With a few twists and turns I’ve turned it into a gluten-free desert – so I can have some! I will also post the original recipe at the bottom of this page.
Ingredients & Instructions (My version)
- 3 Eggs – Separated
1) Place Egg Whites in a big bowl. BEAT egg whites until stiff. (I had to do this by hand because my electric mixer is out of commission…not easy. My forearms got so pumped up – thoughts of Popeye came to mind.
- Reserve 3 Egg Yolks in a small bowl for later.
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Maple Syrup Sugar
- 2 TBSP.Gluten-Free Baking Powder
(I used Bakers Supply House which is Gluten, Wheat and Corn free & Aluminum free. Ingredients: Organic Rice Starch, Mono Calcium Phosphate and Bicarbonate of Soda).
- Mix together in a separate bowl:
- 1 Cup Oil (I used unrefined Canola Oil)
- 3 (Reserved) Egg Yolks
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 – 1/2 Cups Flour (I used 2 Cups Brown Rice Flour + 1/4 Cup Millet Flour + 1/4 Cup Quinoa Flour). I find Quinoa flour can be overpowering in baking (in hindsight, I should have used more sugar to balance it out).
4) Add the Flour – Stir until all the flour becomes moist. It will turn hard and clumpy.
- 4 Cups of Cut up Italian (Prune) Plums. Approximately 30 Plums.
- 1/8 Cup of Blond Granulated Organic Sugar (more if you like it sweeter).
- 1/8 Cup (more if you like it sweeter) of Blond Granulated Organic Sugar